Croque Madame is a traditional French sandwich composed of thick crusty bread layered with ham, Gruyere cheese and topped with a creamy bechamel sauce. This version adds a unique twist by using Just Bare Chicken Tenderloins, crispy pancetta and topped with an oozy poached egg.
Servings 4Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97 Notice: Undefined variable: delay in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97
Prep Time: 15Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 109
Cook Time: 35Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 115
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
- 4 oz Pancetta, Diced
- 6 oz Just Bare Chicken Tenderloins
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 Scallions, sliced (including bulb) – reserve 2 Tbsp for garnish
- 2 Garlic Cloves, peeled & sliced
- 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp Butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry, partially thawed
- 4 oz Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 4 Whole Eggs + 1 Egg Beaten, separated
- Olive Oil
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or according to the directions on the puff pastry box.
- Preheat a pan on medium heat and add the pancetta to slowly render. Cook pancetta for 6-8 minutes until crispy – remove from pan.
- Season the chicken with kosher salt and black pepper – add to the heated pan with reserved pancetta fat. Add olive oil if more fat is needed. Cook chicken for 8-10 minutes flipping halfway through until browned on each side and internal temperature reads 165°F. Remove chicken and allow to cool. Shred with a fork and reserve.
- With the remaining fat in the pan, add 2 Tbsp of butter, sliced scallions and garlic – cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add flour and stir to create a roux, continue to heat for another 2 minutes. Add milk and mix until combined, allow the mixture to come to a boil while constantly stirring. Once at a boil, the mixture should begin to thicken, remove from heat. Add shredded chicken and mix thoroughly.
- For the puff pastry, cut the dough into 4 even squares and lay on a parchment lined
sheet pan. Brush each square with egg wash using the beaten egg – this will help with
- Score the middle of each puff pastry square with a paring knife or fork to prevent the middle from puffing up. Add a few tablespoons of the chicken and bechamel mixture to the center of each pastry square. Top each square with about 1 oz of shredded Gruyere cheese.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake until the edges begin to puff and start to brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- While puff pastry is baking, bring a saucepan with at least 2 inches of water to a boil, reduce to low. Crack the egg in a fine mesh sieve (over a small bowl) and remove the liquidy whites and ransfer the egg to a small ramekin or bowl. Add one tablespoon of white vinegar to the pot and stir to create a vortex. Pour the ramekin with the egg into the middle of the vortex and set a timer for 3 minutes.
- Once the egg is done, use a slotted spoon to remove from the pot. Dab with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Once the puff pastry is browned and the cheese has melted – remove from the oven. Top each Croque Madame with a poached egg, reserved crispy pancetta and garnish with sliced scallions. Enjoy!
The Croque Madame puff pastry can be served with a simple fig jam which adds a hint of sweetness and balances the salty and creamy notes.