Making little pastry-covered pies was once a creative way to use leftover chicken or other meats. Now we just love them for their warmth and comfort.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot or parsnip, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery and some leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup baby button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled sage
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (4 pounds) Just Bare Whole Chicken
- PASTRY TOP
- 1 (15 ounce box) sheet rolled refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Garlic salt
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 552||Calories from Fat 43|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 27g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Trans Fat 0g||50%|
|Total Carbohydrate 39g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 26%|
|Vitamin C 12%||Vitamin A 82%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat butter and oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leeks, carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Stir in flour, salt, thyme, sage, and pepper. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until mixture is pale golden brown (mixture will be lumpy).
- Whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken.
- Spoon chicken mixture into 4 (12 to 16 ounce) baking dishes; refrigerate for 20 minutes or until room temperature.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll pie pastry; cut into desired shape* to cover filling. Lay pastry on top of each baking dish. Brush with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
Just BARE® Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts may be substituted for Just BARE® Whole Chicken.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.
*Cut pastry into wedges or into fluted rounds with a biscuit cutter. Other pastry or cookie cutters may be used to make different shapes.
The filling for these little ramekins can be doubled and made ahead of time if you want to serve them to more than your family.