Ribollita, a traditional stew-like Tuscan soup, often uses day-old bread to add body and thicken the broth. This version uses coarsely mashed white beans, which add more fiber and a creamy texture. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of thinly sliced fresh basil or pungent Romano cheese.
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek, halved lengthwise, rinsed, sliced crosswise
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped or 1 (14-1/2 ounces) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 large leaves red or green kale or rainbow chard, ribs removed, sliced crosswise
- 1 (15 ounces) can Great Northern or canellini beans, rinsed, drained, coarsely mashed with fork
- 2 teaspoons dried herbes de Provence, crumbled*
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 280||Calories from Fat 29|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Calcium 11%||Iron 25%|
|Vitamin C 54%||Vitamin A 117%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large soup kettle over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, leeks and garlic 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in carrots and zucchini; cook and stir about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth, chicken breasts, potatoes, tomatoes, kale, mashed beans, and dried herbs to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; partially cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center (165°F) and potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove and shred before serving soup.
*Substitute dried thyme, rosemary, and/or oregano if you don’t have herbes de Provence on hand.