This is an adaptation of Brian & Ly’s Epic Quinoa Salad, developed for the Roots for the Home Team™ project in Minneapolis-St. Paul. The creators of the original salad are interns at a local kids’ gardening program.
Servings 4Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97 Notice: Undefined variable: delay in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97
Total Time: 30 minutesNotice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 103
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup packed shredded kale leaves (remove thick ribs)
- 1/2 cup red cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 cups mixed spring greens
- 1/4 cup roasted & salted sunflower seeds, if desired
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Breasts
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 340||Calories from Fat 26|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 38g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 16g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 53%||Vitamin A 104%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Rinse with cool water; drain well and place in a large bowl. Add the kale, tomatoes, grapes, cucumber, and mint to bowl.
- Mix hoisin, honey, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and vinegar in small bowl until well blended. Pour half of mixture over quinoa mixture; gently toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place chicken on hot grill; brush with remaining hoisin mixture. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning once (brush with sauce again), until no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Arrange greens on dinner plates. Top with quinoa mixture and grilled chicken. Garnish with sunflower seeds.
Boneless skinless thighs may be substituted for boneless skinless breasts.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.