Summer grilling and al fresco dining are two of our top reasons for loving the season. Experimenting with new flavors makes it even more enjoyable. We took travel inspiration to dream up fresh and delicious grilled recipes in this Taste to Escape series. First up: our Hawaiian Grilled Chicken Sandwich featuring Just Bare Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets. Capturing a mix of sweet and savory flavors, this nod to the famous “Ono” burger from Hawaii is served up teriyaki style with mushroom, avocado, grilled pineapple and microgreens on a toasted King’s Hawaiian bun. This grilled chicken sandwich will wow your BBQ guests *and* the kiddos.
Recipe credited to Brit+Co
Recipe development and photography by Nicole Hill Gerulat
- Chicken Breast Fillets
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons mirin or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove fresh minced garlic
- 2 pkgs Just Bare Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets (4 breasts total)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 (½‑inch-thick) pineapple rings
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup Japanese-style mayonnaise (Kewpie), or regular mayonnaise
- 4 King’s Hawaiian hamburger buns
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 pkg micro greens, alfalfa sprouts, or 4 lettuce leaves
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 33g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Trans Fat 0g||50%|
|Total Carbohydrate 69g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 45g|
|Includes 37g Added Sugars||74%|
|Calcium 280 mg 22%||Iron 3.9 mg 22%|
|Potassium 1460 mg 31%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, water, sugar, mirin, ginger and garlic. Pour half of the mixture into a shallow dish. Rinse chicken breasts and add to the dish, turning to completely coat the chicken. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or up to overnight.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the remaining marinade and cornstarch until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Turn gas grill to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn all burners to medium. Clean and oil cooking grate.
- Place pineapple rings on grill and cook (covered if using gas) until softened and lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer pineapple to platter and tent with aluminum foil.
- Meanwhile, place chicken breasts on grill and cook until well browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Flip and brush extra marinade from the dish and continue to cook until well browned on second side and chicken registers 160℉, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer grilled chicken to platter, and rest for 5 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, spread both sides of the hamburger buns with mayonnaise, and grill for 1-2 minutes until toasted.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer chicken breast, cheese, teriyaki sauce, pineapple rings, avocado & micro greens.