This recipe is a “have it all” taste experience. Vietnamese cuisine is known for encompassing contrasting flavors of savory-sweet-tart-salty-umami, with a final burst of freshness in the generous topping of herb leaves.
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 stalks lemongrass, more tender inner white part, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce (sambal oelek)
- 3 limes, zest grated and juiced & divided
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 4 to 6 (20 ounces) Just Bare Hand Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 to 8 ounces dried rice-stick (vermicelli) noodles
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 cups shredded Napa or savoy cabbage
- 1 large carrot, julienned or cut into long shreds
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- Torn fresh mint, cilantro, and/or Thai basil leaves
- Fresh lime wedges, if desired
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 520||Calories from Fat 21|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 63g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 23g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 9%|
|Vitamin C 38%||Vitamin A 63%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Mix the soy, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, brown sugar, lemongrass, chili-garlic sauce, lime zest and half of the lime juice, half of the garlic, and the oil in a large bowl. Add the chicken; toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cover noodles with hot water in a large bowl; soak for 15 minutes or until softened and pliable. Drain well and set aside.
To make a dressing, mix ½ cup warm water, ¼ cup sugar, the remaining lime juice (about ¼ cup), remaining 3 tablespoons fish sauce, remaining chopped garlic, and red pepper flakes until well combined. Set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat. Sauté the cabbage and carrot about 2 minutes or until tender; scrape into a bowl. Add the chicken with the marinade; cook and stir about 8 minutes or until no longer pink (remove the pieces of lemongrass). Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Stir the vegetables, with the softened noodles, back into the pan. Stir and turn the mixture until heated through.
Serve the chicken-noodle mixture in large bowls, topped with green onions and herbs. Drizzle with the reserved dressing.