Spoon this vibrant creamy curry sauce over sautéed chicken, partnered with steamed jasmine flavored rice with freshly toasted cumin seeds. If you can get them, use 4 sliced kaffir lime leaves for the grated lime peel—and if you prefer you can make the curry paste in a small food processor or food chopper.
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 2 lemongrass stalks, trimmed, tender center part coarsely chopped
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh turmeric, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 (36 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk, stirred well
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise pods
- Toasted shaved unsweetened coconut, fresh cilantro leaves, and/or sliced green onions and hot chiles, if desired
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 398||Calories from Fat 65|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 24g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Calcium 3%||Iron 10%|
|Vitamin C 6%||Vitamin A 3%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Place red pepper flakes in a large mortar & pestle. Grind for 1 minute. Add cardamom seeds; continue grinding until nearly powdered.
- Add ginger, turmeric, kaffir lime, garlic cloves, and shallot one at a time, grinding and pounding until a paste forms. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Sauté about 6 minutes, turning once, until nicely browned. Remove to a plate.
- Spoon spice paste into skillet; cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Pour in coconut milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and anise.
- Return chicken to pan; increase heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Serve chicken and sauce garnished with toasted coconut, cilantro, and/or green onions.