Serve this savory shredded chicken wrapped in toasted tortillas, garnished with roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sliced green onions, fresh cilantro, crumbled cotija cheese, and sliced ripe avocado.
- 2 medium dried ancho chiles (about 1 ounce), stemmed, seeded, torn into pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 large plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 5 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 335||Calories from Fat 45|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 20%|
|Vitamin C 9%||Vitamin A 34%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat a large deep ungreased skillet over medium heat. Add dried chile pieces; toast, pressing them flat with a spatula, just until fragrant. Remove from skillet.
- Add almonds to pan; toast, stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from skillet.
- Mix spices in small bowl. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle spice mixture into skillet; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add broth, chipotle chiles, tomatoes, and raisins to pan; return toasted chiles and almonds to pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken to pan; partially cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer about 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Remove chicken from pan; let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, add chocolate to pan; cook and stir until melted. Using an immersion blender; puree sauce (or carefully pour mixture into blender in batches). Simmer sauce over medium heat 20 minutes or until thickened. Shred chicken; stir into sauce and season with salt and pepper.
Just Bare® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets may be substituted for Just Bare® Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.