Serve this warming sweet-savory chicken dish with steamed Chinese gai lan (broccoli) and fragrant jasmine rice. Substitute other hard winter squash if you’d like, like Buttercup, Kabocha, or Butternut.
- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 8 (about 40 ounces) Just Bare Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups cubed (1-inch) fresh pumpkin, peeled (about 1 pound)
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla) or to taste
- Fresh lemon wedges and hot pepper flakes, if desired
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 575||Calories from Fat 53|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 34g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Trans Fat 1g||50%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 20g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 18%|
|Vitamin C 8%||Vitamin A 80%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Heat oven to 425˚F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with foil. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown chicken then arrange on a baking sheet, reserving fat in pan.
Toss pumpkin chunks and garlic with fat from skillet; season with salt and pepper. Arrange on second baking sheet.
Roast chicken and pumpkin for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink near bone and pumpkin is tender. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
Meanwhile make the caramel sauce. Reheat skillet over medium-high heat; deglaze with water, scraping up browned bits. Add sugar; stir to dissolve. Cook, stirring, about 4 minutes or until the mixture turns a deep amber. Carefully pour in vinegar (it will bubble up); stir to dissolve any hardened sugar.
Add ginger, coriander, broth, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil; cook about 10 minutes or until thickened.
Spoon sauce over chicken and pumpkin. Serve with lemon, sprinkled with hot pepper flakes.