Anne L. of Hugo, MN was selected as a finalist in the 2012 Just 5 Cooking Challenge for creating this easy dinner with bright harvest flavors using highly nutritious and tasty beet greens.
- 5 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) small beets, peeled, quartered, and leafy tops reserved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 485||Calories from Fat 57|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 31g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Trans Fat 0g||45%|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 140g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 265g|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 29g||104%|
|Total Sugars 14g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 17%||Vitamin A 33%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place quartered beets, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, pecans, salt, and pepper in medium bowl; toss to coat. Pour mixture out onto half of baking sheet. Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Pull leaves from 2 sprigs rosemary; finely chop. Heat 2 tablespoons butter, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, salt, and pepper in medium saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in chopped rosemary.
- Pull baking sheet from oven; stir beets. Dip chicken into rosemary butter, coating it well. Place on baking sheet next to the beets. Return pan to oven; bake about 18 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and beets are just tender. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Meanwhile, rinse and coarsely chop beet leaves and cut stems into 1-inch pieces. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add stems; blanch for 1 minute. Add leaves; cook about 30 seconds. Drain in colander, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken and beets on a bed of beet greens, garnished with remaining rosemary sprigs.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts may be substituted for boneless skinless chicken thighs. Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.
For a golden brown crust on the chicken thighs, sear the first side in an oven-safe skillet over high heat, then turn the chicken over. Transfer the pan to a 400°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until no longer pink in center.