This updated version of “hunter’s chicken” is made with a lighter hand and bolder flavors. Serve over hot cooked farro or Israeli couscous.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 4 thick slices uncured bacon or pancetta, sliced crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup small cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 (14-1/2-ounce) cans diced Italian-seasoned tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1 cup large green pimiento-stuffed olives
- Grated Romano or Asiago cheese and lemon wedges, if desired
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 540||Calories from Fat 53|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Calcium 13%||Iron 17%|
|Vitamin C 49%||Vitamin A 28%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Mix flour, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Flatten chicken pieces; dredge in seasoned flour.
Cook bacon in a large deep skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving fat in pan. Set bacon pieces aside.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to bacon fat in pan. Sauté chicken until well browned; remove to a plate.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Sauté onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic about 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, broth, and wine. Return chicken to pan; simmer 15 minutes longer of until no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and olives.
Serve chicken and sauce sprinkled with reserved bacon, cheese, and a squeeze of lemon.