Prep Time: 30
Cook Time: 120
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 120 mins
- 1 2½- 3lb Just Bare Pork Loin, cut into 1½” chunks
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & left whole
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups masarepa flour (pre-cooked masa, also called harina precocida)
- 2½ cups water
- queso fresco or feta
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Season pork with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown pork in two batches, about 25 minutes total; remove pork to a bowl. Add onion and garlic to the pan; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom. Add chipotle peppers and bay leaves. Return the pork to the pan, pushing the pork into the liquid so it’s almost covered by the broth (add more if necessary). Cover leaving a small crack between the lid and the pot. Place in oven and cook 1½ hours or until pork shreds easily with a fork.
- Just before the pork is done, combine the masarepa flour with salt and water. Let stand 5 minutes, then divide into 8 pieces. Roll each into a ball and flatten into ½” pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the arepas, cover and cook until golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Turn and cook uncovered, another 6 to 8 minutes, adding more oil if needed. Transfer to a sheet pan and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining arepas and oil.
- When pork is done, discard bay leaves, and shred pork with two forks. To serve, split arepas horizontally and fill each with pork, queso fresco, and cilantro.