The pairing of spices, dried fruit, and salty brined olives or capers with meat is distinctly Spanish—and is a favorite way to season ground meat in Cuba. A slow-cooked chicken stew seasoned up the same way is warming and really delicious if made a day ahead so the flavors bloom.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 5 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves to taste
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 430||Calories from Fat 45|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0g||30%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Calcium 7%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 34%||Vitamin A 6%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Mix flour, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper in shallow dish. Dredge chicken in mixture, shaking off excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches; remove to plate. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil; add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; stir in crushed tomatoes, olives, capers, raisins, and wine. Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken and any juices back to pan. Coat with sauce; cover pan and simmer about 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and tender. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Serve chicken with sauce, sprinkled with cilantro.
Just Bare® Chicken Drumsticks may be substituted for the Just Bare® Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.
If you’d like to make this dish in the slow cooker, follow directions through Step 2. Spoon sauce into 3-1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker; top with browned chicken. Cover and cook on LOW heat about 6 hours or on HIGH for about 3 hours.