This 5-ingredient recipe was created by Pamela Vachon and was selected as a finalist in the 2012 Just Bare® Just 5 Cooking Challenge.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, thinly sliced, some fronds reserved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 3 medium oranges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 5 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Thighs
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 385||Calories from Fat 46|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 11g|
|Calcium 12%||Iron 14%|
|Vitamin C 79%||Vitamin A 7%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Mix fennel and onion in medium bowl. Place breadcrumbs in shallow dish.
- Grate zest from 1 orange; stir into breadcrumbs. Juice that orange plus one more (for about 1/2 cup); mix with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour half of dressing over fennel mixture; toss to coat. Reserve remaining dressing.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in breadcrumb mixture until well coated.
- Place chicken in hot skillet; cook about 12 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel remaining orange and thinly slice. Arrange fennel mixture and orange slices on plates. Top with sliced chicken; garnish with fennel fronds and drizzle with dressing.
Just Bare® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Just Bare® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenders may be substituted for Just Bare® Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.
Pamela V. of Astoria, NY was selected as a finalist in the 2012 Just 5 Cooking Challenge for creating this bright and zesty dish with chicken served atop a zippy salad of fennel and red onion with an orange vinaigrette.