Add other root vegetables to this simple chicken dish: chunks of carrot or parsnip, or a little rutabaga and celery. If time is at a premium, a large slow cooker is ideal for slowly braising a whole bird while you’re away for several hours.
Servings 6Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97 Notice: Undefined variable: delay in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97
Total Time: 2 hoursNotice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 103
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 (4 pounds) Just Bare Whole Chicken
- 12 red new potatoes, halved
- 3 large leeks, rinsed well, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 yellow or red boiler onions, peeled, halved lengthwise
- 2 heads garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme and/or rosemary leaves (1-1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 433||Calories from Fat 33|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Calcium 10%||Iron 25%|
|Vitamin C 43%||Vitamin A 20%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Tie chicken legs together with kitchen twine. Lift wingtips up and over back, tucking them securely under chicken. Place in large Dutch oven or heavy casserole with lid.
- Arrange potatoes, leeks, onions, and garlic around chicken. Pour broth and wine over chicken and vegetables; sprinkle with herbs, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover pan.
- Place casserole over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Transfer pan to oven. Cook 1 hour; remove lid and cook 30 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear and potatoes are tender. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Carve chicken and serve with vegetables and pan juices.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.
Boiler onions are about 2 inches in diameter; other small onions may be substituted.