This is a perfect dish for a more intimate holiday supper. Enjoy with a lively rich chardonnay or Fume Blanc!
- 1-1/2 cups wild rice (or use a mixture of rices)
- 2 zucchini, finley sliced diagonally
- 8 leaves basil, shredded
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (or pecans), toasted
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate or 1/2 cup frozen (measure)
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 487||Calories from Fat 31|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 48g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Calcium 6%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 24%||Vitamin A 5%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- To prepare the rice, place in a large saucepan and cover by 1 inch with cold water. Bring to a boil, season to taste and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, cover and allow to steam for 30 minutes. Add a little more water if needed, and return to the boil for 5 minutes or until cooked as desired. Just before serving, add the zucchini and cook for 1-2 minutes, then fold in the basil and nuts and remove from heat.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the oil, molasses and vinegar, season to taste and stir in the seeds, crushing as much as possible to release their juices. Make this ahead of time to allow flavors to develop, then gently warm just before serving.
- To prepare the chicken, preheat oven to 375°F, Place the filets in a casserole or baking dish with a little wine, stock or water in base. Combine the mustard and maple syrup and brush over the top. Roast for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Slice and serve with the rice and dressing spooned over.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.
You can find pomegranate molasses in gourmet markets and well stocked supermarkets. If you can’t find it try real maple syrup or a deep rich honey.