Brining a whole chicken, or chicken parts, is a method that only improves the texture and flavor of the meat—and keeps it very moist during roasting.
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 2 bottles (12 ounces) amber beer or apple cider
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 (4 pounds) Just Bare Whole Chicken
- 3 Bosc or red pears, cored, quartered lengthwise
- 2 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 404||Calories from Fat 36|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 1g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 23g|
|Calcium 5%||Iron 11%|
|Vitamin C 9%||Vitamin A 4%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Mix brine ingredients in a jumbo resealable plastic bag or large soup kettle. Place whole chicken in bag; seal tightly. Place in refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Heat oven to 425°F. Remove chicken from brine; rinse off (discard brine). Place chicken on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Arrange pears and onions around chicken. Mix 1/3 cup maple syrup and broth; pour half of mixture over chicken, pears, and onions.
Place chicken in oven; roast 55 to 60 minutes or until juices run clear and internal temperature in thigh reaches 165°F. Serve chicken cut up on a platter with pears and onions; drizzle remaining maple syrup/broth mixture on top. Season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, if desired.
Just BARE® Chicken Drumsticks may be substituted for Just BARE® Whole Chicken.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.