These French-Vietnamese sandwiches are a staple of food trucks around the country. This zesty, sweetly glazed chicken version is worth the extra few minutes to prep the pickled veggie slaw and maybe even make your own truly French, truly homemade mayo!
- 5 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large lemons
- 3 lemongrass stalks (bottoms of tender inner bulbs), sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup julienned (matchstick) or shredded carrot
- 1 cup very thinly sliced seedless cucumber
- 1/3 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup diagonally sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 6 (7-inch) crusty petit baguette rolls or larger baguettes cut into 7-inch lengths, split horizontally
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 470||Calories from Fat 28|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 57g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 25g|
|Calcium 7%||Iron 19%|
|Vitamin C 17%||Vitamin A 75%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook about 8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
Grate zest (about 1 tablespoon) from 1 lemon, then juice both of them (about 1/3 cup); bruise lemongrass (see Tips) with side of knife blade. Add zest, juice, and lemongrass to skillet with honey and ginger, scraping skillet to loosen browned bits. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 8 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Cool, coarsely chop chicken.
Meanwhile mix carrots, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and green onions with vinegar. Set aside until ready to make sandwiches. Using your fingers, pull out the soft interior of the baguettes (top and bottom), creating a hollow (use soft bread to make croutons or bread crumbs).
Spread mayo inside bottom halves of bread. Top with chopped chicken, then the pickled vegetables. Close sandwiches with top halves of bread. Wrap in parchment and eat outside!
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.
When buying lemongrass, look for firm stalks (not soft or rubbery). The lower stalk should be very pale yellow in color, while the upper stalks are green and fresh.