Feel free to toss in some chopped fall butternut squash or parsnips instead of carrots for this delicious autumn harvest soup.
- HERB OIL
- 2 cups loosely-packed fresh basil leaves (or a combination with some sage or rosemary)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or Great Northern beans, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 370||Calories from Fat 46|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Calcium 11%||Iron 22%|
|Vitamin C 23%||Vitamin A 57%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Puree all herb oil ingredients in blender or mini food processor.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, chicken 5 minutes, until browned. Remove to bowl.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery to pot; cook, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, beans, and parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add chicken to pot; simmer 5 minutes longer or until no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, with a spoonful of herb oil swirled into each bowl.
Just Bare® Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Breast Tenders may be substituted for Just Bare® Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.
A fun accompaniment would be baked Parmesan “frico”—little wafers of melted cheese. On a foil-lined baking sheet, drop little piles of Parmesan, then spread into 3-1/2 inch circles. Bake at 300°F until melted; loosen edges and let them stand 30 seconds before lifting from foil.