Boost this ooey, gooey grilled cheese by adding saucy cooked chicken to the filling. Using two heavy skillets creates a homemade sandwich press, ensuring crisply golden sandwiches with fully melted cheese. A combination of cheeses is especially delicious—experiment with easy melters like Swiss, Colby, Havarti, Muenster, fontina, or Gouda.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced, then chopped
- 1 cup chopped or shredded Just Bare Chicken*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried barbecue rub seasoning
- 1/2 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 4 slices firm sourdough or rye bread (1/4-inch thick)
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup shredded Provolone, Havarti, or Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 1055||Calories from Fat 57|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 68g||87%|
|Saturated Fat 35g||175%|
|Trans Fat 2g||175%|
|Total Carbohydrate 60g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 17g|
|Calcium 66%||Iron 29%|
|Vitamin C 11%||Vitamin A 40%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat oil in a heavy large skillet (cast-iron is best) over medium-high heat. Sauté onion about 4 minutes or until very tender. Stir in chicken, sauce, and barbecue seasoning. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until hot. Remove from skillet to a small bowl. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel; keep skillet hot over medium heat. Heat a second skillet of similar size over medium-high heat.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter; lay butter-side down on work surface. Sprinkle 2 slices of bread with half of cheese; spoon half of chicken mixture on top of cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with remaining slices of bread. Butter tops of sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches in hot skillet; place second skillet (bottom-down) on top of the sandwiches (if it’s not cast-iron, weight it down with a couple of cans from your pantry.)
- Cook sandwiches over medium heat for 5 minutes or until you hear melting cheese sizzling in pan. Gently remove top skillet, using a spatula if needed to be sure the sandwich isn’t sticking. Serve sandwiches immediately.
*Or use any leftover cooked Just Bare® chicken, from a home-roasted chicken or grilled chicken.
FAMILY-STYLE GRILLED CHEESE
To cook 4 to 6 sandwiches at the same time, heat the oven to 400˚F. Double or triple the amount of filling, depending on how many sandwiches you want to make. Preheat two large rimmed baking sheets (half-sheet pans.) Arrange filled sandwiches on one baking pan, then top with the second hot baking sheet—weighing it down with a heavy oven-safe skillet. Bake about 20 minutes or until sandwiches are golden brown and cheese is melted.