Using a spoonful of deeply roasted coffee as part of a seasoning rub is more common with steaks or red meat, but the flavor of coffee teamed up with southwestern herbs and spices blend magically with the dark drumstick meat.
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, if desired
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored, thinly sliced + some chopped fennel fronds (the green leaves)
- 1 cup shredded red or green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fine instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 to 6 (20 ounces) Just Bare Chicken Drumsticks
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 270||Calories from Fat 48|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 13%|
|Vitamin C 34%||Vitamin A 76%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
To make slaw, mix mayonnaise, vinegar, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and horseradish in large bowl. Add fennel, cabbage, carrot, radishes, and red onion. Toss to coat; cover and refrigerate until serving time. May be made up to 2 hours ahead or overnight.
Heat grill to medium-high heat. Mix chili powder, coffee powder, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Rub dry mixture all over drumsticks.
Place drumsticks on grill; cook 20 to 25 minutes, turning once or twice, until meat is no longer pink close to the bone. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
Cut-up whole Just BARE® chicken or boneless thighs may be substituted for Chicken Drumsticks.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product.
You can also bump up the amount of cumin and coriander, or use a pinch of ground allspice or red chile powder.