Prep Time: 30
Cook Time: 240
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 240 mins
- 3 1/2- to 4-pound Just Bare Pork Butt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12-ounce bottle Mexican lager-style beer
- Grated peel and juice of 1 large orange
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lime
- Warm small tortillas, lime wedges,
- Chopped onion, salsa, and cilantro, for serving
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Combine chili powder, garlic salt, coriander, and cumin. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons of spice mixture.
- Pat pork roast dry with paper towels. If roast is not cut, make 1 horizontal cut through the side of the roast, cutting to, but not through, opposite side. Open meat. Rub cut area with some of the spice mixture. Close roast to form its original shape; tie close with string at 2-inch intervals. Rub surface with remaining spice mixture. Tightly wrap pork in plastic wrap. Place on tray in refrigerator and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Unwrap pork and place in a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven. Add beer, and peel and juices from orange and lime. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Cook, covered, in oven for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until very tender.
- Transfer the pork to cutting board. Remove string. Using two forks, coarsely shred pork into bite-size pieces. Sprinkle with reserved spice mixture; toss to combine. (If desired, moisten pork with a few tablespoons of cooking juices. Discard remaining juices. )
- Transfer pork to a bowl. Serve with tortillas, lime wedges, chopped onion, salsa and cilantro.