This beautiful and fragrant tagine has a deep flavor tinged with a tartness from the pomegranate juice. As the dish simmers, the dark chicken and dried fruit absorb the crimson of the pomegranate juice and cook into a luscious caramel brown stew. The fresh pomegranate arils and cilantro leaves add a final bright counterpoint.
- 1 cup fresh pearl onions or 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup pitted dried plums (prunes)
- 3/4 cup whole dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup torn fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (arils)
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 495||Calories from Fat 26|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 60g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 43g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 11%||Vitamin A 26%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
If using fresh onions, cook in boiling water for 1 minute. Cool under running water; peel. Heat oil in Dutch oven (or tagine casserole) over medium-high heat. Add ginger, pepper, and salt; cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken, onions, and garlic to pan. Sauté 5 minutes; stir in pomegranate juice, dried plums, and apricots. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook about 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
Stir cornstarch mixture into stew; simmer until thickened. Stir in cilantro. Serve stew garnished with pomegranate seeds.
Just BARE® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts may be substituted for Just BARE® Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.