This recipe elegantly feeds a nice-sized dinner party, but is easy to cut in half for a smaller supper. The sweetness of the dried plums (formerly known as prunes), contrasts with the brininess of the olives and capers—delicious with the richness of bone-in chicken.
- 2 (4 pounds each) Just Bare Whole Chickens
- 3/4 cup dried plums (prunes)
- 1/2 cup green Spanish olives
- 1/3 cup small capers
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 572||Calories from Fat 51|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 33g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Trans Fat 1g||35%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 20g|
|Calcium 6%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 5%||Vitamin A 13%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Cut chickens into quarters with poultry shears.
Place chicken pieces in a large bowl or jumbo plastic storage bag. Add dried plums, olives, capers, garlic, vinegar, oil, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Turn pieces to coat with seasonings. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 400°F; adjust oven racks to accommodate two baking pans. Arrange chicken pieces, olives, and plums on two foil-lined rimmed baking sheets. Pour marinade over the top. Season chicken with salt and pepper; sprinkle with brown sugar and pour chicken broth around pieces.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink when cut near the bone. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Serve with pan juices, sprinkled with garnishes.
Just BARE® Chicken Drumsticks and Just BARE® Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs may be substituted for the Just BARE® Whole Chicken; dried apricots may be substituted for dried plums (prunes).
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product or any other ingredients. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.