Traditional harissa is an incendiary red spice paste that’s stirred into couscous dishes. This green version is not quite as hot and adds a lovely herbal note to this flavorful one dish meal. Serve the chicken stew over the couscous in shallow bowls, garnishing with a spoonful of the green sauce and some sweet red grape halves, golden raisins, or toasted slivered almonds.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 to 8 (20 ounces) Just Bare Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout blend*
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into narrow wedges
- 1 medium onion, cut into narrow wedges
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 cups uncooked whole-wheat couscous
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and stems (about 1 bunch)
- 1-1/2 cups tightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 serrano chile, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and lime juice to taste
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 786||Calories from Fat 28|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 95g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 17g||61%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Calcium 16%||Iron 31%|
|Vitamin C 48%||Vitamin A 113%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occassionally, chicken 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in curry powder, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
Add carrots, fennel, onion, tomatoes with juices, and broth. Bring mixture to a boil; partially cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini and beans; simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook couscous according to package directions. To make harissa, combine cilantro, spinach, garlic, chile, cumin, and coriander in blender container. Pulse until greens are chopped, then slowly pour in olive oil with motor running. Process until mixture is nearly smooth. Season with salt and lime juice.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken breast tenders may be substituted for boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.
*Ras El Hanout is a blend of cinnamon, cumin, black and red peppers and turmeric