If you’d prefer to have chunks of chicken stirred into the macaroni, cut them into ½-inch pieces before cooking.
Servings 6Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97 Notice: Undefined variable: delay in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97
Total Time: 30 minutesNotice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 103
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat or brown rice pasta (fusilli, penne, macaroni)
- 4 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded smoked gruyère, cheddar, gouda, or provolone cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley to taste
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 570||Calories from Fat 44|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 28g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Total Carbohydrate 45g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Calcium 46%||Iron 17%|
|Vitamin C 9%||Vitamin A 23%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain well.
- Cook the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat until crisp; remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain fat from the pan, reserving 1 tablespoon fat.
- Season the chicken with smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken in the bacon fat for about 8 minutes or until no longer pink in center and nicely browned. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Set aside.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat; sauté onion and garlic for about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour until well combined; stir in the tomato paste. Pour in milk; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the cheese and cook for 3 minutes or until the melted and pasta is well coated.
- Spoon the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce; stir until well coated. Spoon into a casserole serving dish and top with sliced chicken, sprinkled with the bacon and parsley. Or serve in individual bowls. topped with the chicken, bacon, and parsley.