Feeling guilty about how easy our Lightly Breaded Chicken Breast Strips are to get on the table? Show the family you’re the cleverest cook in the kitchen with scallion pancakes that look hard to make- but really are just pure fun!
- 8 Just Bare Breaded Chicken Breast Strips
- Scallion Pancakes
- 2 C + 2 T all purpose flour
- 1 t Kosher salt
- ¾ C water
- vegetable oil for frying and rolling dough
- 2 bunches of scallions, finely chopped and separated between green and white ends (1/2 cup each white and green) reserve a few green scallions for garnish
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt with a fork.
- Slowly add the water and continue stirring with the fork.
- When the flour starts to come together, remove from the bowl and kneed for 6-8 minutes until the dough has a soft sheen.
- Return the dough to the bowl and cover with a lightly oiled piece of plastic wrap. Make sure that the dough is in contact with the wrap.
- Let dough sit on the counter for at least an hour.
- Bring a tablespoon of oil to medium heat and add the white finely chopped scallions.
- Cook the scallions for 3 minutes until the start to soften and then remove from heat and place into a bowl to come to room temperature.
- Remove from the bowl and separate into 4 equal portions. Be sure portions awaiting rolling are covered with the plastic wrap.
- Lightly spray or wipe your work surface with oil.
- Using a wooden rolling pin, work the dough into a very thin rectangle. It should be at least the size of an 8.5×11 sheet of paper. The thinner the better!
NOTE: it is okay if the dough tears as it will be folded over.
- Sprinkle ¼ of the scallion oil over the rolled-out dough. Then sprinkle ¼ of the green scallions over the surface evenly.
- Gently bring the long ends of each side of the dough to the center, making a long column with the seam in the center. Then bring those edges to the center, trapping all the scallions inside the long “tube” of dough.
- Twist the tube a bit to secure the shape, then roll the dough up like a snail.
- After rolling up all 4 pieces of the dough, let them rest for 10 minutes under plastic wrap.
- In your air fryer, place the chicken strips on a rack, if possible, to create the crispiest chicken possible.
- Refer to your specific air fryer’s manufacturing instructions, but 12 minutes at 400° is a great place to start for deliciously crispy chicken strips. Be sure that your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F before serving.
Finishing the Pancakes
- Lightly grease the work surface again. Select a single dough curl and place it on the surface.
- Using your rolling pin, roll out the pancake to about the width of 8 inches. Thinner is better! This is a great time for kids or timid cooks to get in on the action- rolling out the pancakes is fun and easy.
- Once rolled, transfer the dough, one at a time, to a hot skillet with 2 Tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Cook on both sides, allowing 2-4 minutes on each side. Try to only flip once if possible.
- Remove from the heat and place on a rack (not on towels).
- While one pancake is cooking, roll the next one!
- Place two chicken strips on each pancake.
- Garnish with a few green onions and enjoy!