Any dried mushrooms will work beautifully in this unique method for seasoning chicken. The mushroom “dust” lends a deep, rich flavor as it’s absorbed into the chicken skin. Making a creamy risotto with farro—a farrotto—filled with fresh mushrooms only boosts the umami of the dish.
Servings 4Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97 Notice: Undefined variable: delay in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97
Total Time: 1 hourNotice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 103
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 4 (2 pounds) Just Bare Bone-In Split Chicken Breasts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shallots
- 8 ounces fresh wild mushrooms (chantrelles, portobellos, shiitakes), trimmed, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and grated Asiago cheese, if desired
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 600||Calories from Fat 35|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0g||30%|
|Total Carbohydrate 47g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||29%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Calcium 6%||Iron 26%|
|Vitamin C 8%||Vitamin A 21%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat oven to 400°F. Place dried mushrooms in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Season chicken with salt and pepper; sprinkle both sides of each breast with mushroom powder. Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Place in oven; bake about 30 minutes or until no longer pink near bone. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté shallots about 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring until they begin to release their juices.
- Stir in farro; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute or until wine evaporates. Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 cup broth; cook 8 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Repeat with remaining 2 cups broth, adding 1 cup at a time, stirring until absorbed (about 30 minutes total).
- Stir peas and remaining 1/2 cup broth into farro, cooking until heated through. Serve immediately with roasted chicken, sprinkled with parsley and cheese.
Just BARE® Bone-In Chicken Thighs may be substituted for Just BARE® Bone-In Split Chicken Breasts (roast for about 10 minutes longer).
Nutritional information may change when substituting product. If you choose to substitute frozen chicken for this recipe, it’s best to thaw the product before cooking.