Here the basic Garlic Studded Roasted Chicken is embellished with chili peppers and garlic then served with a classic Italian bread salad of toasted bread, tomatoes, onions, parsley, and a dressing made from pan juices.
Servings 8Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97 Notice: Undefined variable: delay in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutesNotice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 103
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 1 (4 pounds) Just Bare Whole Chicken
- 3 small onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 Anaheim chile pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 (about 8 cups) sourdough boule or round loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 410||Calories from Fat 40|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Calcium 8%||Iron 20%|
|Vitamin C 23%||Vitamin A 30%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Prior to preheating, position the oven rack so that the top of the chicken will be just above the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 425° F before roasting to ensure even cooking. If desired, rinse and pat dry chicken. Tuck wings under and tie legs together with kitchen twine. Place chicken into heavy roasting pan.
- Loosen skin around chicken; with wooden spoon tuck slices of 1 onion, garlic slices and thyme sprigs under skin. Rub olive oil over chicken; sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast at 425° F for 50 to 60 minutes, or until internal temperature of thigh is 170° F.
- During last 20 minutes of roasting add remaining sliced onions, peppers, and 2 cloves of chopped garlic around chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a sheet pan, toast bread cubes in oven with chicken. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally until toasted; set aside.
- Remove roasting pan from oven; remove chicken from pan and let stand 5 minutes before carving, meat temperature will rise as it rests. Deglaze roasting pan with 1/4 cup water. Toss together toasted bread cubes, tomatoes, red onion and parsley in a large bowl. Add pan juices, chilies, and remaining ingredients to bread mixture; toss. To serve, slice chicken and serve with bread salad.
A loaf of crusty bread may be substituted for sourdough boule.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product or any other ingredients. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.