Meaty chicken legs, rather than veal shanks, are braised in a tomato sauce, then sprinkled with gremolata—a zesty blend of chopped herbs, fresh garlic, and lemon zest. Creamy polenta is an ideal accompaniment to this favorite Italian fall one-dish supper that’s lovely for an intimate dinner party.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 to 6 (20 ounces) Just Bare Chicken Drumsticks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup diced carrot (1/4-inch)
- 3/4 cup diced celery (1/4-inch)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces) each diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 cups lowfat (2%) milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked instant polenta
- 3/4 cup grated fresh Gruyère cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 361||Calories from Fat 34|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0g||30%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Calcium 39%||Iron 50%|
|Vitamin C 37%||Vitamin A 67%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
To prepare chicken, heat 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes, turning once, until browned. Remove chicken to a plate.
Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and 2 cloves of chopped garlic. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until just tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and fennel seed; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes.
Return chicken to pan. Cover; simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Uncover; simmer 5 minutes or until tomato sauce thickens.
Meanwhile, for polenta combine milk and broth in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; gradually whisk in instant polenta, stirring constantly. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
To make gremolata mix parsley, zest, and garlic. Serve chicken and sauce over polenta; sprinkle with gremolata.
Just BARE® Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs may be substituted for Just BARE® Chicken Drumsticks.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product.