Serve this fresh take on a classic with crispy fried polenta and sautéed julienned zucchini with lots of fresh garlic. Pan-fry the chicken in olive oil if you’d like a crispier coating.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into narrow wedges
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored, cut into wedges (reserve leafy fronds)
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 (28 ounces) can whole San Marzano tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 514||Calories from Fat 38|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||29%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat oven to 425˚F. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, garlic, and fennel seeds. Sauté 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Break up tomatoes with fingers and add with juices to the skillet, along with rosemary and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Meanwhile, place each chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin, pound chicken lightly until an even thickness. Remove plastic wrap.
- In a shallow dish lightly beat eggs with a fork. In another shallow dish mix cornmeal, ¼ cup shredded Parmesan, and garlic powder.
- Dip chicken into egg, then dredge in cornmeal mixture until well coated. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes or until no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Top chicken breasts with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Bake 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve chicken with warm sauce.