This take on coconut-coated chicken is a fusion of Latin-American flavors. It brings back memories of a mid-winter trip to Jamaica, where the melding of sweet and incendiary spices flavor many dishes. Tropical fruit sauces help temper the heat—vary the fruits you toss together for salsas. The key is to dice or blend the fruits together, with a squeeze of fresh lime and shower of cilantro leaves.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried jerk seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatillos, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 to 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 medium-sized ripe mango, pitted, chopped
- Fresh lime wedges, if desired
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 375||Calories from Fat 52|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||80%|
|Trans Fat 0g||80%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Calcium 4%||Iron 12%|
|Vitamin C 44%||Vitamin A 13%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Lightly beat egg, oil, seasonings, and 1 tablespoon water in shallow dish. Place coconut in another shallow dish.
- Place chicken fillets between two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap; flatten with meat mallet or rolling pin to ½-inch thickness. Dip each piece in egg mixture; coat with coconut and place on baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until coconut is browned and chicken is no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Meanwhile, mix all salsa ingredients together* in medium bowl. Serve with chicken, along with lime wedges.
Just Bare® chicken tenders may be substituted for Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking. If substituting fresh whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut the whole breast in half before preparing.
*For a smoother salsa, coarsely process all the ingredients but the mango in a blender. Stir in mango.