Encourage your family to give suspect root vegetables a test drive, under the guise of a comforting plate filled with golden chicken, mashed “potatoes”, and a buttery pan sauce.
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 package (8 ounces) small Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup buttermilk
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 395||Calories from Fat 24|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Calcium 11%||Iron 12%|
|Vitamin C 49%||Vitamin A 7%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Place rutabaga in large saucepan; cover with water (enough to also cover the potatoes when you stir them in); add 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Add potatoes to pan; simmer 20 minutes longer or until vegetables are very tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet; sauté 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Add mushrooms and shallots to skillet; sauté 5 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and tender. Stir in wine; simmer about 1 minute. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stirring until melted.
- Mash the hot rutabaga and potatoes with potato masher in pan until almost smooth. Stir in enough buttermilk to make mixture creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with mushrooms and pan juices spooned on top, alongside the mashed vegetables.
Just Bare® Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs may be substituted for Just Bare® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking. If substituting fresh whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut the whole breast in half before preparing.