The benefits of a fiber-rich diet, along with the increased intake of B-vitamins and a wide variety of minerals, are undisputed. But don’t ignore how great whole grains taste—experiment with the exploding availability of interesting rice blends, unique pastas, and grains like barley.
Servings 4Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97 Notice: Undefined variable: delay in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 97
Total Time: 1 hourNotice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 103
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup pearled barley
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves (preferably all fruit)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 cloves garic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sliced green onions, if desired
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 514||Calories from Fat 19|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 72g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||39%|
|Total Sugars 30g|
|Calcium 7%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 13%||Vitamin A 1%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- To make pilaf, heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add barley and fennel seed; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes longer or until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Stir in chicken broth and salt; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 to 5 minutes per side or just until browned and no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Stir preserves, ginger, garlic, and vinegar into skillet; cook and stir until chicken is coated with sauce.
- Serve chicken with sauce, sprinkled with green onions.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking.