The benefits of a fiber-rich diet, along with the increased intake of B-vitamins and a wide variety of minerals, are undisputed. But don’t ignore how great whole grains taste—experiment with the exploding availability of interesting rice blends, unique pastas, and grains like barley.
Servings 4Notice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 96 Notice: Undefined variable: delay in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 96
Total Time: 1 hourNotice: Undefined variable: tick in /code/wp-content/themes/fluffy-JustBare/single-recipe.php on line 102
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup pearled barley
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Just Bare Hand-Trimmed Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves (preferably all fruit)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 cloves garic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sliced green onions, if desired
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 514||Calories from Fat 19|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 72g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||39%|
|Total Sugars 30g|
|Calcium 7%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 13%||Vitamin A 1%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- To make pilaf, heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add barley and fennel seed; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes longer or until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Stir in chicken broth and salt; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 to 5 minutes per side or just until browned and no longer pink in center. Cook to internal temp of 165°F.
- Stir preserves, ginger, garlic, and vinegar into skillet; cook and stir until chicken is coated with sauce.
- Serve chicken with sauce, sprinkled with green onions.
Nutritional values may change if you choose to substitute another chicken product. If substituting frozen chicken for this recipe, thaw before cooking. If substituting fresh whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut the whole breast in half before preparing.